Sunday 7 June 2009

Inside the M25 orbital

I guess you could say that I have reached London. Actually moored at a little place called Hunton Bridge about a mile North of Watford. I had to moor up here as a storm was brewing. I had a pretty good day with much better weather than originally forecast. I asked my neighbours on Ashworth to see me through the swingbridge as it is much quicker and, therefore, less frustrating for the cars, if someone other than the helmsman can operate the bridge. Then it was through 4 more locks to moor near Hemel Hempstead. I wanted to get some work gloves as all these locks are giving me dishpan hands. It's all the pulling on ropes that does it. Got 2 cheap but functional pairs at Robert Dyas. Also bought myself some new plimsolls as my current pair have no sole left. So started out in the afternoon fully kitted up and ready for another 8 locks. I got some help through 2 locks by a lad who was out for a walk but was obviously a canal enthusiast (or nerd). His contribution was gratefully received. On the whole though there was not much canal traffic today. I think the weather forecast must have put them off. I managed to get stuck on some shallows at Kings langley. i thought it would be a nice place to moor but, alas, it wasn't. I was struggling to pole off when a passing family stopped to help and successfully pushed the bow out far enough for me to get going again. You do meet some nice people out on the canals. Seriously though the further South I get, the fewer people bother to say "Hello". Some look positively miserable. One funny sight today was a great big fish hanging off a lock gate (It was dead). I guess the strong flow from last night's rain had washed it up and it had got stranded. It was one of those things I just should have taken a photo of.....but didn't. I also saw a boat with two huge solar panels fixed upright to catch any rays. Nothing unusual about that except that one of them had a big round tank on it. Apparently it is to heat water. I've never seen one of those on a boat before.

No comments:

Post a Comment